KPD e-News Release: Two Kingsport Police Officers Injured in Standoff with Barricaded Suspect

Kingsport Police Department

David Quillin, Chief of Police

200 Shelby Street • Kingsport, TN 37660

SUBJECT: Two Kingsport Police Officers Injured in Standoff with Barricaded Suspect
DATE: November 9, 2017
CASE #: 17-032004
On the afternoon of November 9, 2017 at approximately 2:00 PM, the Kingsport Police Department received information concerning a resident of a condominium in the Ridgefields neighborhood of Kingsport.

The information indicated that an adult male suspect, who resided in the 1900 block of Manor Court, had made threats to harm and/or kill both himself and one of his neighbors. During the course of the ensuing investigation, Officers learned that there was also an outstanding arrest warrant for this same suspect for Failure to Appear on a previous charge of Aggravated Stalking involving a completely different neighbor. They also learned that he was reportedly in possession of a firearm.

Shortly thereafter, Kingsport Police Patrol Officers arrived at the suspect’s residence in an attempt to locate him. Upon arrival, responding officers found that he had barricaded himself inside his residence. Officers set up a perimeter and called in the K.P.D. S.W.A.T. Team to assist.

A telephone message was soon disseminated via the Kingsport 9-1-1 Community Notification System, alerting residents of the neighborhood that there was an emergency situation in progress in the immediate area with instructions for residents to stay indoors.

At approximately 4:45 PM, the suspect exited his condominium, armed with a firearm, and there was an immediate exchange of gunfire between him and the officers. He then retreated back inside his condominium. During the gunfire exchange, two Kingsport Police Patrol Officers were wounded.

The officers’ injuries did not initially appear life threatening, and they were still conscious and alert. Both officers were transported to an area medical facility for treatment. The latest information was that one of those officers had been treated and released, and the other officer was being prepped for surgery. Out of respect for their privacy, their identities will not be released at this time.

K.P.D. personnel began clearing neighbors from the surrounding condominiums for safety. At approximately 6:00 PM, the S.W.A.T. Team made a tactical entry into the suspect’s residence. He was found deceased inside. The exact cause and manner of his death remains under investigation, pending an autopsy, and will not be released at this time. His identity is being temporarily withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The scene has now been rendered safe, and residents are being allowed to return to their homes; however, it is still an active crime scene with very limited access.

As is the case with any officer involved shooting, in an effort to maintain complete transparency with the community, the Kingsport Police Department contacted the Office of the 2nd Judicial District Attorney with a request for an independent investigation by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. The Kingsport Police Department Criminal Investigations Division will also conduct a parallel in-house investigation.

The department has received an outpouring of support from the community in the form of phone calls, text messages, emails, social media posts, and even food deliveries expressing thoughts and prayers for everyone involved. For this, the Kingsport Police Department would like to express sincere heartfelt gratitude.

As this is now an active multi-agency investigation, no additional details can or will be released at this time.

Thomas M. Patton, Public Information Officer

Kingsport Police Department Professional Standards Unit

423-229-9433 (Desk) • 423-224-2786 (FAX)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s