|Kingsport Police Department
200 Shelby Street • Kingsport, TN 37660
ThomasMPatton@KingsportTN.gov • 423-229-9433 (Desk) • 423-224-2786 (FAX)
|SUBJECT:||Kingsport Police Offer Winter Weather Driving Tips|
|DATE:||February 24, 2015|
|In light of recent snow events creating treacherous driving conditions, the Kingsport Police Department would like to suggest the following winter weather driving tips to area motorists.
1) When in doubt, STAY HOME. If the roads are covered with snow and/or ice and travel is not an emergency, the answer is simple…STAY OFF THE ROAD! Be patient and let Public Works crews do their job and get the roads cleared for safe travel.
2) If you absolutely must travel, slow everything down. Everything should be done slower…slower acceleration, slower braking, slower steering, etc. Also, plan ahead. If you know that you are going to need to stop or turn ahead, don’t wait until the last second to start the process. Motorists should also seek a route that incorporates the most level streets and the least amount of incline. And yes, this advice applies to seemingly invincible 4 wheel drive vehicles as well.
3) If you absolutely must travel, stock your car with emergency items such as a charged cell phone, warm clothing, blankets, food, water, boots, gloves, a shovel, etc.
4) Turn on your headlights…not just your corner parking lights, but your actual headlights. Your headlights should be on so that you can see, but even more importantly, so that you can be seen by other motorists. This suggestion is even more critical for automobiles that are the same color as snow (white) or the same color as the pavement (silver, gray, charcoal, black, etc.)
5) If your car becomes stuck and it is safely off the roadway, and you need to temporarily abandon it, call Kingsport Central Dispatch at 423-246-9111 and let them know who you are, the make, model, color, and license plate number of your vehicle, and a number where you can be reached.
6) If your car becomes stuck and it is still in the roadway, turn on your hazard lights, call Kingsport Central Dispatch at 423-246-9111, and stay with your vehicle until a police officer and wrecker arrive to remove it from the traffic lane.
|Thomas M. Patton, Public Information Officer
Kingsport Police Department Professional Standards Unit